SOLVED: Re: All of a sudden, problems with X

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Tue Jul 22 05:21:41 UTC 2014

Polytropon writes:

> The easiest thing now would be to remove X and
>
> 	a) install it _and_ its dependencies from ports,
> 	   ports tree updated of course

I think this is what I did. The command I used was:

portmaster -w -r xorg-server

The problem reported here now seems to be solved. I have a mouse again. I
haven't tried Xorg -configure, but I've got fluxbox working from startx
again. And I haven't tried gdm to see if all this latest has fixed whatever
was wrong there.

It does seem there are some gotchas with this latest version of Xorg. One
is that it attempts to respond to my mismatched dual-head setup. It didn't
get screen dimensions right at all and fell back to an ugly common
denominator. It happens the big beautiful screen is destined for a server
that should be arriving in a couple days anyway, so I'm just disconnecting
it a bit early. The small notebook screen will suffice until then.

Thanks!

--
David Benfell
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you do not understand the