[Bulk] Re: The name "grep"

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jul 8 00:44:40 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 13:56:32 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block wrote:
> There's an ongoing thread in the forums about csh completions.  dd is
> one of them:
>
> complete dd 'c/if=/f/' 'c/of=/f/' \
>              'c/conv=*,/(ascii block ebcdic lcase pareven noerror notrunc osync sparse swab sync unblock)/,' \
>              'c/conv=/(ascii block ebcdic lcase pareven noerror notrunc osync sparse swab sync unblock)/,' \
>              'p/*/(bs cbs count files fillcahr ibs if iseek obs of oseek seek skip conv)/='

Thanks, this is really helpful - I made it available system-wide
in /etc/csh.cshrc's "if ($?prompt) then ... endif" block. It makes
using the C shell (as a dialog shell) a better experience and still
surprises me that csh is "that powerful".

> There is no reason a wrapper script could not be written for dd.  It's
> probably about twenty years too late to popularize a different format,
> though.

You could also advocate a rewrite of the job processing subsystem for
the growing amout of IBM mainframes, but hardly anyone would listen.
And the world would stop revolving. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany