[Bulk] Re: The name "grep"

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Jul 7 19:56:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Arthur Chance wrote:

>> This way users by accident could mistake the infile with the outfile.
>>
>> We dislike to randomly screw up infile and outfile, so IMO it makes
>> sense to force if= and of= "operands".
>
> There's no problem about which file is input and which output with cp or mv,
> so why on earth would it be a problem with a sane version of dd?
>
> If you really need a hand holding indication of which file is which,
>
> 	dd -i $infile -o $outfile
>
> would be in the Unix spirit, unlike the existing form. And with an
> interactive shell you could use filename completion which fails with the
> existing dd.

There's an ongoing thread in the forums about csh completions.  dd is
one of them:

complete dd 'c/if=/f/' 'c/of=/f/' \
             'c/conv=*,/(ascii block ebcdic lcase pareven noerror notrunc osync sparse swab sync unblock)/,' \
             'c/conv=/(ascii block ebcdic lcase pareven noerror notrunc osync sparse swab sync unblock)/,' \
             'p/*/(bs cbs count files fillcahr ibs if iseek obs of oseek seek skip conv)/='

There is no reason a wrapper script could not be written for dd.  It's
probably about twenty years too late to popularize a different format,
though.