UFS(2) portable driver for other OS

CeDeROM cederom at tlen.pl
Fri Jan 31 14:53:52 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:41:13 +0100, CeDeROM wrote:
>> Hello :-)
>>
>> Some time ago I have definitely moved from EXT2 to UFS2. This greatly
>> improved my speed and stability on FreeBSD, but I somehow lost access
>> and portability for other OS in "native" read-write mode.
>
> The lowest common denominator is msdosfs (DOS FAT) which is
> usable in r/w nearly everywhere. If you require long file
> names, you need the 16 bit version.

Hey Polytropon :-) I need large files over 4GB and some existing
access riight not to be modified so FAT does not apply, also extFAT is
patented so I wont give it even a try...

> The _most universal_ file system isn't even a file system.
> Instead, it's tar. Yes, really: "tar-formatted" media can
> (..)
> It's good for transfer from A to B, but not for adding,
> changing or removing files...

For archives maybe yes, but I need it as live r/w filesystem, just
like I used EXT2 - lets say three small OS partitions and one large
data partition on the workstation :-)

>> I am sure
>> there is already such solution, as fs standard is open and BSD
>> licensed, so other OS would surely benefit from that support/driver
>> :-)
>
> No, something like that doesn't exist because nobody cares
> about interoperability of data. :-)

How about UFS2 driver for other OS? Is UFS2 endianness sensitive? Even
if, on one machine that would not be the problem :-)

Did anyone implement public UFS2 driver for other OS (Windows, Linux)?

Best regards :-)
Tomek