UFS(2) portable driver for other OS

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jan 31 14:07:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:41:13 +0100, CeDeROM wrote:
> Hello :-)
>
> Some time ago I have definitely moved from EXT2 to UFS2. This greatly
> improved my speed and stability on FreeBSD, but I somehow lost access
> and portability for other OS in "native" read-write mode.

The lowest common denominator is msdosfs (DOS FAT) which is
usable in r/w nearly everywhere. If you require long file
names, you need the 16 bit version. This is commonly considered
the "typical solution" for the problem you're describing, even
though it doesn't really look any attractive because, as I
said, it's the _lowest_ common denominator where "lowest" is
determined by the inability of "Windows" products to be
willing to accept anything that isn't made, approved, certified
and sold by MICROS~1. :-)

> I am looking
> for an universal fs driver for other OS mainly Linux and Windows that
> would allow me to use UFS(2) natively (such as ext2fsd).

The _most universal_ file system isn't even a file system.
Instead, it's tar. Yes, really: "tar-formatted" media can
be read almost everywhere (DOS, IRIX, Solaris, BSD, Linux,
AIX etc.). Everything you need is a tar implementation on
the target system. It works with almost all media (floppy
disks, CD, DVD, USB drives, SD cards, even hard disks).
The major downside is that it isn't really a file system.
It's good for transfer from A to B, but not for adding,
changing or removing files...

> I am sure
> there is already such solution, as fs standard is open and BSD
> licensed, so other OS would surely benefit from that support/driver
> :-)

No, something like that doesn't exist because nobody cares
about interoperability of data. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany