poudriere zfs/zpool create question

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Wed Jan 29 16:28:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:51:49 +0000 (UTC)
James Griffin <jmzgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm going to start using poudriere. I just wanted to check the step(s)
> required to create the zfs/zpool in order to use it.
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 10, default zfs layout/setup from installation.
>
> I've read on a site that `zpool create ... ada0` to start? I just want
> to ask before I go ahead so I don't screw it up. I'm not familiar yet
> with zfs filesystem. There doesn't appear to be any clear guides
> available on setting up the zfs environment needed for poudriere; not
> that I could find anyway.
>
> Thanks for any info received.
>
> Jamie.

Assuming you are running 10.0-RELEASE on zfs and further assuming you
do not run multiple zpools, you already have your zpool set up.

You configure the $ZPOOL poudriere uses in
/usr/local/etc/poudriere.conf, which is extensively commented.

Then, poudriere jail -c <...> will create your zfs dataset for you. I
recommend to create datasets for packages like
zroot/poudriere/packages/10amd64, but this is not required.

Cheers,
--
Christopher
TZ:         GMT + 1h

FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #1 r256184: Thu Oct 10 19:12:54 CEST 2013
cjr at dijkstra.cruwe.de:/usr/obj/usr/home/cjr/media/src/freebsd/base/stable/9/sys/GEN_WDTRACE

Punctuation matters:
"Lets eat Grandma." or "Lets eat, Grandma." - Punctuation saves lives.
"A panda eats shoots and leaves." or "A panda eats, shoots, and
leaves." - Punctuation teaches proper biology.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead." (RFC 1925)