FreeBSD and Linux shared installation

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 21 05:48:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:14:31 +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Swap: Can the two Linusi share the same swap partition? And
>
> I do something of the sort on machines in my teaching lab.
>
> I have installed one Ubuntu on one partition, and I have another empty
> partition where students can install their own Ubuntu (for class
> project) and they both use one same (extended) partition.
>
> I see no reason why FreeBSD could not use it too, swap partition is
> supposed to be empty when the system boots, so any data/formatting
> done by another OS will be over written.

That was my initial assumption too. Thanks for confirming,
I will definitely try that. The only thing I've been wondering
about: The ID would have to be set to 82 "Linux swap" (and
the Linux partitions theirselves of course 83 "Linux native
partition"), will FreeBSD complain when I define that partition,
e. g. /dev/ada0s2, as swap, having the "wrong" type ID? On
the other hand, a typical FreeBSD swap at /dev/ada0s1b would
have no partition ID at all... so I assume that won't be
a problem.

> One a side note, should you have 35GB of /home in FreeBSD partition of
> instead  increase the size of your common space?

I thought about that, but decided against it. The common data
partition will be more of an "exchange point" because I will
spend most of my time in FreeBSD, and I prefer data to be
under the control of UFS (because I just trust this more than
the various Linux file systems), that's why FreeBSD's /home
is where the majority of data will be.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany