Removing user from lan. Solved!

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Fri Jan 17 19:59:36 UTC 2014

Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:53:32 -1000, Al Plant wrote:
>> Aloha,
>>
>> Could anyone please send me to a how to on removing an unwanted user
>> from the lan on FreeBSD 9 and 8.
>> I tried to remove the adduser file and name and I still cant use the
>> name that was there before.
>
> Deleting the home directory is not sufficient, as the account
> will still be active in files like /etc/passwd and the user
> database. So while an interactive login might be inhibited
> (due to a non-extisting home directory or login shell), other
> kinds of access, like FTP and maybe even scp, may still be
> possible. That's why the account has to be deleted entirely.
> The "rmuser" and "pw userdel" commands can do this. They also
> make sure the user is removed from the (generated) binary
> databases.
>

>> I read the man page and cant see from that how to get rid off all the
>> parts of the old account.
>
> You should have a look at "man rmuser" and "man pw".

Thanks, Olivier and Poly....

I finally remembered the command when you mentioned. You are great at
helping fix mind blocks.

I just used "rmuser" and the problem is gone.

:)

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >