New FreeBSD-10.0-RC5 install fails when setting administrator password

Dale Scott dale at dalescott.net
Thu Jan 16 16:36:10 UTC 2014

   Hi, I get "passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module" in the
   installer after re-typing the administrator password (after which I'm
   prompted to Restart or Exit the installer).

   I've used both FreeBSD-10.0-RC5-i386-bootonly.iso and
   FreeBSD-10.0-RC5-i386-dvd1.iso, and I'm installing in a virtual machine
   using VirtualBox v4.3.6 r91406 on a Win7 T61 ThinkPad. Install
   procedure is plain vanilla (next, next, next, ....).

   Any suggestions?

   ---
   Dale
   dalescott.net - Transparency with Trust