pkgng and pkgdb

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed Feb 26 14:58:58 UTC 2014

On 02/25/14 22:12, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 25/02/2014 20:52, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi wrote:
>>>
>>> Not needed at all with pkg(8).  Because we're using a reasonable RDBMS
>>> system (sqlite) we don't suffer from the same sort of corruption that
>>> the old package tools used to.

Well, I think I happen to do...

After doing what entry 20140219 in UPDATING suggested, I came up with:

> # pkg check -a -d
> textproc/gnome-doc-utils has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-xml-440
> textproc/gnome-doc-utils has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-xml-430
> textproc/gtk-doc has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-sk
> textproc/rarian has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-sk

> The following packages will be installed:
>
>         Reinstalling xmlcatmgr-2.2 (options changed)
>         Installing docbook-xml: 4.3
>         Installing docbook-sk: 4.1.2_4
>         Installing docbook-xml: 4.4_1
>
> The installation will require 1 MB more space
>
> 167 KB to be downloaded

> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/docbook-xml-4.3.txz: Not Found
>
> textproc/docbook-xml-440 dependency failed to be fixed
> textproc/docbook-xml-430 dependency failed to be fixed
> textproc/docbook-sk dependency failed to be fixed

I was used to this kind of mess and let "pkgdb -F" fix it (at least it
would ask what to do about wrong dependencies), but that's not an option
anymore.

So, from what little information I could find, I did:

> # pkg set -o textproc/docbook-xml-430:textproc/docbook-xml
> Change origin from textproc/docbook-xml-430 to textproc/docbook-xml for all dependencies? [y/N]: y

This half solved and half worsened my problem:

> # pkg check -a -d
> textproc/gnome-doc-utils has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-xml-440
> textproc/gtk-doc has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-sk
> textproc/rarian has a missing dependency: textproc/docbook-sk

> The following packages will be installed:
>
>         Reinstalling xmlcatmgr-2.2 (options changed)
>         Installing docbook-sk: 4.1.2_4
>         Installing docbook-xml: 4.4_1
>
> The installation will require 826 KB more space
>
> 110 KB to be downloaded

> textproc/docbook-xml-440 dependency failed to be fixed
> textproc/docbook-sk dependency failed to be fixed

> # pkg set -o textproc/docbook-xml-440:textproc/docbook-xml
> Change origin from textproc/docbook-xml-440 to textproc/docbook-xml for all dependencies? [y/N]: y
> pkg: sqlite: columns package_id, origin are not unique

Not even
 > # pkg_deinstall -f xmlcatmgr
 > # portupgrade -RN xmlcatmgr
fixed this.

Luckily, the following did:
# pkg_deinstall -f gnome-doc-utils gtk-doc rarian
# portupgrade -RN gnome-doc-utils gtk-doc rarian

However I'm confused... "pkgdb -F" would have fixed this much more
easily than removing and reinstalling a few ports. I really wouldn't
want this to happen if the involved ports were hundreds and/or big.

Is the functionality of "pkgdb -F" really gone??? Does really no
equivalent exist?

  bye & Thanks
	av.