gptids are not symlinks to /dev/da*
chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 18:34:40 UTC 2014
Can you help fill in some detail for the questions I list below? Thank you!
1. zpool status shows "gptids" like so:
2. gptids are located under /dev/gptid/ and /dev
3. smartctl does not like gptids but does like /dev/da* "smartctl -a
4. "man gptid" comes up blank
5. the freebsd handbook does not describe gptid
6. google "freebsd gptid" returns a bunch of random stuff
Q1: What is a gptid?
A1: It's some kind of system by which drives have the same device name
Q2: How does FreeBSD know which drive corresponds to which gptid?
When is the gptid assigned?
A2: gptids are written to the first block of the disk during manufacture.
Q3: Can I use it like a regular /dev/da? device?
A3: No. For example, smartctl takes /dev/da* but not /dev/gptid/*
Q4: So gptid is not like the linux symlinks called /dev/disk/by-uuid/*
Q4. Apparently not.
Q5: Why am I unable to figure out what is a gptid even after
attempting to read documentation/google?
A5: Maybe you aren't trying hard enough.
More information about the freebsd-questions