Fresh installation on top of a old system in ZFS

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 22 22:43:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 12:11:09 -0800, Ross Penner wrote:
> I'm hoping to get some guidance on the best way to create a fresh
> FreeBSD install using my existing drives partitioned with ZFS.

This sounds a bit like what Solaris "Boot Environments" have
been designed for. Look at FreeBSD's beadm (sysutils/beadm).
This would allow you to install the new OS "in parallel" to
whatever you already have installed, and then boot into that
new environment. If it works as intended, the remains of the
old system can be discarded. Just make sure you set the ZFS
flags properly (what to boot, also check the mountpoints).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany