Instability in re driver?

Dennis Glatting dg17 at penx.com
Fri Feb 21 09:20:12 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 07:25 +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Dennis Glatting:
>
> > I have the same problem on a new ASUS A78M-A MB. Transfer is really fast
> > (300+ GB files) then poof. Generally, I stay away from RealTek,
> > replacing my network interfaces with Intel, but on A78M-A I don't much
> > choice.
>
> Are you sure it's Realtek's fault as opposed to a bug in FreeBSD's re driver?

Nope. All I can say, over the past couple of years, I have had
consistent problems with re under FreeBSD and zip with Intel.

That same MB (A78M-M) under CentOS 6.5 had problems with the RealTek
too. That system is powered off for the next couple of days and I am
unsure of current settings. IIRC, I had better luck with FreeBSD than
CentOS with this MB.

I have another MB, a MSI 990FXA-GD80, that didn't like the RealTek
(8111E) under CentOS 6.5 so I plugged in an Intel. Worked fine then.