pkg or ports.

Patrick Lamaiziere patfbsd at davenulle.org
Tue Feb 18 18:08:08 UTC 2014

Le Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:01:42 +0100,
Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> a écrit :

Hello,

> I'm little lost since FreeBSD introduce pkgng.
>
> Should I use pkgng or the ports (like I did before ?)

This is two differents things, ports build packages and pkg manages the
packages. You can use both.

> My server is manage through puppet, so I would like to use pkg for
> some « basic » packages (like bash, vim etc..) but want ports system
> for important thing (like postgresql-server) because I can tune the
> option.

I suggest to use poudriere to build your own packages (using your
options). Then it is very easy to upgrade a full machine with pkg
upgrade -f

And you are sur that the packages set is consistant.

> But in that way how I manage to maintaint up2date ALL packages ?

poudriere and pkg :-)

Regards.