pkg or ports.

LtCdData blackswan at ltcddata.plus.com
Tue Feb 18 17:46:18 UTC 2014

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:01:42 +0100
Albert Shih <Albert.Shih at obspm.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm little lost since FreeBSD introduce pkgng.
>
> Should I use pkgng or the ports (like I did before ?)
>
> My server is manage through puppet, so I would like to use pkg for some
> « basic » packages (like bash, vim etc..) but want ports system for
> important thing (like postgresql-server) because I can tune the option.
>
> But in that way how I manage to maintaint up2date ALL packages ?
>
> Regards.
>

> --
> Albert SHIH
> DIO bâtiment 15
> Observatoire de Paris
> 5 Place Jules Janssen
> 92195 Meudon Cedex
> France
> Téléphone : +33 1 45 07 76 26/+33 6 86 69 95 71
> xmpp: jas at obspm.fr
> Heure local/Local time:
> mar 18 fév 2014 17:59:13 CET

Using binary packages is all very well for a fast install but I have found that once you start to move into using ports its better to stay with ports.
Any time I have done a check on binary updates available, it wanted to undo a lot of what had been changed by ports even for silly small reasons, hense a conflict between the both upgrade paths.
For me at least, once I moved onto ports, its stay on ports.