question about portmaster

Michael Ross gmx at ross.cx
Mon Feb 10 14:40:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:31:15 +0100, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 5:19 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know a specific answer to this, it probably means that some
>>> dependencies are missing, but it did make me realize that this error
>>> has
>>> not appeared since I switched pkg(8).
>>
>> Absolutely.  You won't get this error with pkg(8) -- it's just not
>> possible to get that sort of corruption in the local.sqlite schema
>> pkg(8) uses.  (All too easy with pkg_tools as anyone who has used
>> portmaster+pkg_tools will testify.)
>>
>> To fix the OP's problem once and for all:
>>
>>      # /usr/sbin/pkg -v
>>      [ Answer the prompts in the affirmative ]
>>      # pkg2ng -p
>>      # echo 'WITH_PKGNG=YES' >> /etc/make.conf
>>      # pkg check -ad
>>      [ Optional -- this will point up any missing dependencies ]
>>
>> When running 'pkg check' you will be prompted to install missing
>> packages from whatever repository (if any) you have configured.  If
>> you're going to be building everything from ports, at that point you
>> should take note of what is missing, quit out of 'pkg check' and build
>> the missing bits using portmaster.  (In fact, you'll probably find that
>> there aren't actually any missing bits: what's gone wrong is recording
>> which package is required by which other package correctly.)
>>
>> Yes, this is quite a radical solution, but it's the only way to achieve
>> that 'once and for all' condition.  You can use 'portmaster
>> --check-depends' to fix things up, but eventually the problem will recur
>> if you stick with pkg_tools.
>>
>>         Cheers,
>>
>>         Matthew
>>
>> --
>> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.
>> PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey
>>

> Dear Sir,
>

> Thank you for your suggestion.  On one of the two machines, the
> process is churning.  It is going on converting to pkg, but on the
> other one I get errors:
>
> # /usr/sbin/pkg -v
> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
> Bootstrapping pkg please wait
> _http._tcp.pkg.FreeBSD.org
> Installing pkg-1.2.6... done
> If you are upgrading from the old package format, first run:
>
>   # pkg2ng
> 1.2.6
> # pkg2ng -p
> pkg2ng: Command not found.
> # /usr/sbin/pkg -v
> 1.2.6
> # pkg2ng -p
> pkg2ng: Command not found.

You may have to
	# rehash
if you use csh:

        rehash  Causes the internal hash table of the contents of the
directo-
                ries  in the path variable to be recomputed.  This is
needed if
                the autorehash shell variable is not set and new  commands
are
                added  to  directories  in  path while you are logged in.
With
                autorehash, a new command will be found  automatically,
except
                in  the  special  case  where  another command of the same
name
                which is located in a different directory already exists in
the
                hash  table.   Also flushes the cache of home directories
built
                by tilde expansion.

(from man csh)

Regards,