question about portmaster

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 13:19:01 UTC 2014

Dear folks,

I have been a follower/user of freebsd for the past three years and I
have used portmaster exclusively to update ports installed on my
machines.  I have two 9.2 machines and one 8.4-RELEASE-p7 machine.  My
question is as follows,

pkg_install
pkg_delete

have been depracated in favor of pkgng utilities.  What I like about
FreeBSD is that one use the ports system and configure the options
like one wants instead of using ready made packages.  Now the packages
are available and I used some of them using DragonFlyBSD, but continue
to use portmaster to build/install/maintain the ports tree on my
FreeBSD systems.
I am not too familiar on how to use portmaster to delete packages, I
know about situations where one has to rebuilt some packages, ie,

# portmaster -r package-which-needs-to-be-rebuilt

and it rebuilts and installs the package with its deps, etc.  There
was once a howto on FreeBSD magazine on how to install/delete packages
with portmaster.  Any small howtos out there.

Also can one still use portmaster on 10.0?  I have the dvd's(i386 and
x86_64) but have been hesitant to install because I'm afraid to mess
things up with using pkgng and portmaster both at the same time.  I
would just like to use portmaster exclusively since it has been what I
am most comfortable with.  I don't care about compiling times, ...,
etc and how the new packaging system works, I know it works, but I
just feel better and am used to doing things old fashion way.  That
was what got me to use FreeBSD in the first place.  I already know the
conforts of using yum, and apt and urpmi and other utilities to update
software.

I have a little problem with xorg deps that I get errors,
I run
# portmaster --check-depends
but I am afraid to mess up, how can I fix these once and for all?
``
pkg_version: corrupted record for package icon-naming-utils-0.8.90_1
(pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
pkg_version: corrupted record for package nvidia-driver-304.88_1
(pkgdep line without argument), ignoring
p5-Perl-OSType                      <
pkg_version: corrupted record for package p5-XML-Simple-2.20 (pkgdep
line without argument), ignoring
pkg_version: corrupted record for package xorg-7.7 (pkgdep line
without argument), ignoring
[...]
pkg_version: corrupted record for package xorg-drivers-7.7 (pkgdep
[...]
pkg_version: corrupted record for package xorg-server-1.7.7_11,1
(pkgdep line without argument), ignoring

''
I followed the advice in /usr/ports/UPDATING
and got rid of libGL and dri*

``
20131216:
  AFFECTS: users of x11/xorg, graphics/libGL, graphics/dri, all xorg ports
  AUTHOR: zeising at FreeBSD.org

  The default xorg version has been switched on FreeBSD CURRENT.

  To upgrade graphics/libGL, graphics/dri and related MESA ports, it is
  necessary to first remove the old versions of those ports.
  No special upgrade procedure is needed for xorg port but it is
  necessary to recompile all xorg drivers (xf86-*) and other ports that
  depend on the xserver version, including
  emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions.  Portrevisions have been bumped
  where needed, but users of drivers not in the ports tree will need to
  recompile those.

  If it is important to stay on the old versions, it is possible to
  specify WITHOUT_NEW_XORG= in /etc/make.conf to get the old xorg
  distribution.

  To update:

  # pkg_delete -f libGL-\* dri-\*
    or
  # pkg delete -f libGL dri
    followed by
  # portmaster graphics/dri graphics/libGL
    or
  # portupgrade graphics/dri graphics/libGL
    and then
  # portmaster -a
    or
  # portupgrade -a

''
now I get the errors above.  Most things work correctly.  Just that
the deps complain about something missing.

Thanks for all the help you provide.  This list is awesome.  Many kind
folks out there who give great advice throughout the years.

Best Regards,

Antonio