dhclient and 10.0

Mike. the.lists at mgm51.com
Thu Feb 6 22:44:26 UTC 2014

On 2/6/2014 at 1:40 PM Mike. wrote:

|I wrote a simple dhclient-exit-hooks script consisting only of the
|following three lines:
|

|	logger -t deh entering dhclient-exit-hooks
|	env | logger -t deh
|	logger -t deh leaving dhclient-exit-hooks
|

|So far I've been using IPv4 DHCP only.
|
|When the lease on the IP address is renewed or changes, I see
entries
|in the messages log corresponding to those three lines.
|
|However, when the computer first boots up, I do not see any entries
|in the messages log for the initial run of dhclient during the boot
|process.
|
|I'd like to see those entries, but I cannot find a configuration
|parameter that instructs dhclient to call the dhclient-exit-hooks
|script during the inital running of dhclient.
|
|rc.conf contains:
|
|	ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
|	dhclient_program="/sbin/dhclient"
|

|Am I missing something else that needs to be in rc.conf?

After taking a different approach, I found the answer ...

The dhclient-exit-hooks does indeed run when dhclient is invoked
during the boot cycle.   The issue is that syslogd does not seem to
be logging yet.

If I create a file inside of dhclient-exit-hooks, then that file is
present as a result of dhclient-exit-hooks running during the boot
cycle.

Sorry for the noise....