Looking for supported SAS controller

Georg Altmann galtmann at las-cad.com
Mon Feb 3 11:40:07 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a PCIe SAS controller (HBA) for connecting a internal
SAS tape drive (HP LTO3/Ultrium3 Storageworks 920) that works with
FreeBSD 10.

The mainboard is a supermicro X10SLM-F with Xeon e3 1200v3.

I have had no success with an old LSI SAS 1064 based controller (Fujitsu
Siemens brand 3041E-FSC (L3-00131-01c), PCIe gen1). I recon this one is
supported by FreeBSD drivers, but I can't get it to work with the
mainboard (controller is not detected). A new firmware on the controller
might help, but alas I don't have any suitable spare box to do the flashing.

I am currently looking into buying a newer Adapatec 6405H, which is
known to work with the mainboard, but Adaptec support told me there is
no driver for FreeBSD. Can anyone confirm this?
Note that this is _not_ the RAID controller 6405 or 6405T. Considering
the similar names, could the 6405H HBA be a stripped down version of the
RAID controller and thus be supported by the same driver (if any)?

Thanks for your help!

Regards
Georg

--
PGP-Key: 0x1E320E65
D150 7783 A0D1 7507 1266  C5B3 BBF1 9C42 1E32 0E65

I don't like the idea of secret agencies to analyse and archive
personal communication. GnuPG is available as open source, free as as in
freedom, as a countermeasure. I use http://www.enigmail.net/ for Mozilla
Thunderbird. If you can, please use a frontend of your choice to send me
encrypted e-mail. See http://www.gnupg.org/ for an overview.