Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Fri Dec 26 19:17:48 UTC 2014

On 12/26/14 12:59 PM, Warren Block wrote:

> The old package database tools are no longer supported.  So yes, it is
> time to switch to pkg (the preferred name now).  If the old pkg_*
> commands are still present, do not use them after the switch.

The only exception to this rule I've run into recently was on an 8.4
system, upgraded to use pkg, but where I had to manipulate a piece of
3rd party software provided *only* as an old-style package. There using
the pkg_* commands was a big time saver.  But it was still
unsupported....and leaves me with inconsistent package databases.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com