switching from ports to pkg -- mailman group mismatch

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Dec 5 04:01:27 UTC 2014

>> Yes, we have a mess.  If you need a port compiled with other than the
>> standard options, you can't use the package, and it's a challenge
>> to keep pkg from stomping your locally compiled versions.
>
> What issue are you seeing?

One is that when pkg sees a package installed with options other than the
default, it tries to reinstall the default version.  Since the reason I
build ports with custom options is that the default doesn't work for me,
that just breaks things.

The other is that when you have several ports that install approximately
the same thing, such as the various forks of mysql, pkg often decides to
install something that smashes an existing package.  I have
percona56-{server,client} installed, and every time I try pkg upgrade, it
wants to install mysql55-client, which would break percona.  The
dependencies in the ports work, so I don't know why pkg gets it wrong.

R's,
John