firefox bookmarks verifier

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 03:30:33 UTC 2014

Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:52:32 -0600, Sean DuBois wrote:
>
>> It doesn't solve your exact problem, but it is how I would solve the
>> problem. I would loop over your bookmarks and filter links that return a
>> 404 etc..
>>

> That would have been my suggestion, too. But be aware
> that just checking for 404 often isn't sufficient, because
> some error pages indicate things like "oops, article or
> blog post not found" which is a ("valid") 200 response,
> but the requested content simply isn't there anymore...
>
> So maybe you would extract the fields "bookmark title"
> and "bookmark URI", then use wget to dump the page, grep
> for <title> and compare. Otherwise, wget --spider would
> probably be enough.
>
> For those entries still valid, create a new bookmark file
> that can then be re-imported into Firefox (or exchanged
> for the one that was the original source). The original
> format can be recreated quite easily; if I remember
> correctly, Firefox stores bookmarks in HTML or JSON.

So your answer is that Firefox has no built in function to verify bookmarks?
Secondly
When I imported my bookmarks from my MS browser into Firefox they were
all organized in folders just like they were in the MS browser. Now when
to go to export Firefox bookmarks I get them listed in URL sorted order
missing there organized folders. This is not acceptable. Need to have
them exported grouped in their folders as Firefox shows them.
How can I get this accomplished?
Where does Firefox store the raw bookmarks html file? This file must be
like a directory tree with each folder being a sub-directory.

Does any one know of any Firefox addon's that address these problems
with Firefox bookmarks?