firefox bookmarks verifier

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Dec 3 01:23:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 18:52:32 -0600, Sean DuBois wrote:
> It doesn't solve your exact problem, but it is how I would solve the
> problem. I would loop over your bookmarks and filter links that return a
> 404 etc..

That would have been my suggestion, too. But be aware
that just checking for 404 often isn't sufficient, because
some error pages indicate things like "oops, article or
blog post not found" which is a ("valid") 200 response,
but the requested content simply isn't there anymore...

So maybe you would extract the fields "bookmark title"
and "bookmark URI", then use wget to dump the page, grep
for <title> and compare. Otherwise, wget --spider would
probably be enough.

For those entries still valid, create a new bookmark file
that can then be re-imported into Firefox (or exchanged
for the one that was the original source). The original
format can be recreated quite easily; if I remember
correctly, Firefox stores bookmarks in HTML or JSON.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany