$DISPLAY not set

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 20:09:04 UTC 2014

On 12/01/2014 02:42 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> starting an X server (in all of the massive variety of way you can do
> that) is pretty much *exactly* the same on Linux as on FreeBSD.
right, configure X and run startx
once I read the handbook, startx worked and I had a minimal Xwindows
running. startkde still does work, no $DISPLAY
>>> The "exec startkde" is supposed to go in your .xinitrc file, in which
>>> case you would start X with the "startx" command.
>> right, I understand the .xinitrc, but I wanted it to work first..
> You don't understand the .xinitrc, then. It isn't going to start an X
> server for you -- it's supposed to be run *under* the X server.
ooh, so I put exec startkde in .xinitrc then run startx..

now THAT worked!  added the .xinitrc for startkde, then ran startx. I
now have a KDE session! I really wanted MATE, but I'll work on that.
I am getting closer!

--
Paul Cartwright