Order of geli "passphrase prompt" on boot

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Thu Aug 28 16:28:33 UTC 2014

On 08/28/2014 10:20 am, Francesco Toscan wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:42:31PM +0100, Miguel Clara wrote:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>>
>> Does any one know if there's a way to change the order of the
>> passphrase
>> prompt when the disk is encrypted?
>>
>> The ways it is now devices get detected after this prompt (usb devices
>> it
>> seems) and makes the prompt kind of hidden which complicates things
>> for
>> less experience users!
>
> I experienced this issue running 9.0.
> 10-RELEASE seems fine (as works for me...) but i didn't investigate.
>
> If your root partition is not encrypted, you can try to mount encrypted
> volumes later, adding the relevant bits into /etc/rc.local or a rc.d
> script. Just remove the BOOT flag from your volumes with
>
> geli configure -B provider

I can confirm the issue on my laptop (Dell Lattitude E6520) with
10.0-RELEASE-p7 using an encrypted boot on zfs, and booting from usb
thumb drive.  It doesn't do it if I have no other USB devices plugged in
in addition to the USB thumb frive.  However if its in the port
replicator, with external mouse/keyboard I get a lot of device discovery
prompts following the prompt for the password.  Its only a nuisance for
me, though when I built it off the port replicator then took it into the
office and booted it the first time I thought I broke it and hard reset
it.  The next boot I was watching closely and saw the prompt go by.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer