FreeBSD 10 - mplayer issue

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sat Aug 23 12:25:22 UTC 2014

Yet another problem in the new install saga - thankfully I have a mostly
useable machine now.

This issue hasn't been a high priority on the list - until now. Mplayer
won't run and I can't entertain myself :) Actually, its a bit more
serious than that as I need it for work, and several other related tools
use it too.

After install I ran umplayer and it gave me nothing; so I ran mplayer at
the cli and it did nothing - and I mean absolutely nothing. Even with
-vvvv there is not a spot of output after the command is entered.

So I ran truss, and didn't see anything useful there either. Then I
looked at top to see if it was burning the cpu at all - nope. All I see
is mplayer in a urdlck condition.

Googling this points to an issue in 10 with posix compatibility and to
avoid it in the application programming. Some ssh problems too.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Or how to diagnose?

Cheers