putting jails on public addresses

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Thu Aug 21 03:02:13 UTC 2014

On 8/20/2014 10:50 PM, James Gritton wrote:
> On 8/20/2014 5:20 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
>> Hello:
>> I'd really like to put a couple of jails on publically accessible IP
>> addresses. I have 5 that my provider has assigned to me. Could anyone
>> possibly shed
>> some light on how to do this? I know of epairs, but I'm not sure
>> exactly how this works: does each interface (a and b) get an address?
>> I presume one would
>> be 192.168.0.8 and the other would be x.x.x.x (where x.x.x.x is the
>> public address)? Which one should i set the gateway on?
>> Thanks a lot for the help,
>
> You shouldn't need to mess with epair for most jails.  Just specify
> the jails' addresses (ip4.addr=x.x.x.x) in your jail.conf, and be sure
> to have an "interface=foo0" global line.  The simplest jail setup is
> one using publicly available addresses on a single interface, which
> sounds like what you have.

Hello:
Thanks a lot for the info. I guess I should have been a bit more
explicit: I want to be able to assign firewall rules to these separate
jails. I don't think I can assign rules based on address but have to
have some sort of interface. For example, port 80 will be open on two
jails, but one should have rate limiting applied to it.
Thanks,

--
Take care,
Ty