Kensington Mouse, was Re: operation not permitted on entropy file

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Wed Aug 13 10:01:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:31:39AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:

> Nothing of this "strange stuff" should be needed for USB mice,
> as they are typically detected and configured automatically
> by devd or devfs, which invokes moused with the required options
> (if any).

Okay, so this gets weirder.

I unplugged the mouse--a Kensington trackball--from my notebook and
plugged it into the server. It still took a couple tries to get moused
to run. For one thing 'auto' for moused_type really does need to be in
lower case; it won't recognize 'AUTO'. The other thing is I had to
specify moused_port.

But by the time I got into X, the mouse was unresponsive.

I unplugged it and plugged it back into my notebook. Now my notebook
won't recognize it. Even with a restart of moused (which has helped
with touchpad glitches).

I plugged it into my Windows laptop (I'm working on a dissertation
proposal at the moment and they require MS-Word formatting that can't
be replicated with LibreOffice), and it recognized it fine.

Could it be that my favorite trackball doesn't get along with FreeBSD
so well?

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the