TCP/IP on the way out?

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Aug 8 08:34:20 UTC 2014

On 8 August 2014, at 00:00, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I trust that all is well with everyone.
>
> I have seen this article which sounds much like a dream, but seems true.
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/article/2459286/why-tcp/why-tcp/ip-is-on-the-way-out.html
>
> I'd love to hear the views of those who understand the network stack.

A quick reading indicates that the protocol is almost identical to the IMP protocol used by ARPANET.  It is more efficient of bandwidth and redundant paths.  However, TCP/IP won out simply because it is a very simple protocol that works well and can be easily implemented in very small devices.  What the article doesn't address is the path determination process.  That is where the bulk of the code and overhead will be found.  ARPANET used a static network structure that required re-loading of all IMPs when the network changed in order to keep the overhead down to something manageable.  IPv6 is somewhat of a compromise in that area, but it still incurs significantly more overhead than IPv4.  IPX was much worse yet.  We never could get a LAN with 100 workstations to be useable, where we could easily put 200 on a LAN using IPv4.