pkg question ....

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Wed Aug 6 21:35:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 10:51:07PM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 08:56:17 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> > When I do an
> > 'apropos xfce', is says 'xfce: nothing appropriate' .... I did a
> > 'makewhatis -av' & still nothing .... surely there are some man pages ?!?!?!
>
> Please understand that "modern" software does not come with
> manpages anymore. Documentation, _if_ it actually exists, is
> scattered across the web. You'll find it in discussion forums,
> blogs, user home pages, and wikis. Sometimes, there's something
> in /usr/local/share, but don't bet your money on it... :-)

I think Debian enforces a policy of including man pages in its
packages. These would then get incorporated with at least some
packages in Debian-based distributions of Linux, like Ubuntu and Mint
Linux.

So man pages might be among the documents to be found on the web. But
I'll hesitate to suggest just how useful they might be for FreeBSD.

--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
See https://parts-unknown.org/node/2 if you don't understand the