Determining Video Hardware For "WITH_NEW_XORG"

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Aug 4 08:29:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:22:26 +0100, Jamie Griffin wrote:
> Hi
>
> Having looked at dmesg output and the information provided by FreeBSD
> devs about supported video hardware for WITH_NEW_XORG compilation knob,
> I would like to ask if you can confirm what I have determined my video
> hardware is:
>
> from dmesg:
> agp0: Intel Q45 SVGA controller
>
> from pciconf:
> vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x304817aa chip=0x2e128086
> rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>      vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>      device     = '4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'
>      class      = display
>      subclass   = VGA
> vgapci1 at pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x304817aa chip=0x2e138086
> rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
>      vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>      device     = '4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'
>      class      = display
>

> So my graphics hardware is codename 'Eaglelake' with device id 2e12.
>
> Does this mean this hardware is too old and therefore unsupported by the
> new xorg software and necessary components?

Ask X what it thinks about it. Run

	# Xorg -configure

and see /root/xorg.conf.new as well as /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
what driver X has chosen and loaded. It's possible that you need
to install an additional driver, e. g. xf86-video-intel for your
integrated graphics).

> As I use KDE4 - version 4.10.5 currently - will I have to stick with the
> pkg(8) url "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/release/0" for upgrading
> and installing packages?
>
> Or, can I still build the software on the machine using poudriere and
> specify 'WITHOUT_NEW_XORG' in order to benefit from the latest releases
> of KDE et al?

As far as I know, the pkg packages use the "traditional" X.org,
so if you require "new" X.org, you need to set WITHOUT_NEW_XORG
(which is probably even the default, in opposite to WITH_NEW_XORG
which explicitely enables the "new" X.org) especially in combi-
nation with building KDE from source. The pacakges of KDE however
might be configured differently. I'm not a KDE user anymore so
I can't be more specific.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany