Determining Video Hardware For "WITH_NEW_XORG"

Jamie Griffin griffin8j at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 08:22:34 UTC 2014

Hi

Having looked at dmesg output and the information provided by FreeBSD
devs about supported video hardware for WITH_NEW_XORG compilation knob,
I would like to ask if you can confirm what I have determined my video
hardware is:

from dmesg:
agp0: Intel Q45 SVGA controller

from pciconf:
vgapci0 at pci0:0:2:0:     class=0x030000 card=0x304817aa chip=0x2e128086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'
     class      = display
     subclass   = VGA
vgapci1 at pci0:0:2:1:     class=0x038000 card=0x304817aa chip=0x2e138086
rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'
     class      = display

So my graphics hardware is codename 'Eaglelake' with device id 2e12.

Does this mean this hardware is too old and therefore unsupported by the
new xorg software and necessary components?

As I use KDE4 - version 4.10.5 currently - will I have to stick with the
pkg(8) url "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/release/0" for upgrading
and installing packages?

Or, can I still build the software on the machine using poudriere and
specify 'WITHOUT_NEW_XORG' in order to benefit from the latest releases
of KDE et al?

If anyone is able to clarify those few things I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for your time.

Jamie.