automount ....

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 3 15:24:17 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 09:07:40AM -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 08/03/14 06:20, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 2 Aug 2014, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> >

> >> .... I am interested in using automount (amd) as both client & server
> >> on my newly minted FreeBSD 9.3 box. Actually, the server part already
> >> .... just works, automagically, however I can't figure out anything
> >> about client operations. The man page is dense & a quart low on
> >> examples .... Anyone have any clues, maybe some simple config files ?
> >> TIA ....
> >
> > I am not sure what you mean by client and server in the context of
> > amd, but I did write an amd on FreeBSD tutorial years ago, which still
> > reads well:
> >
> >   http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/amd.html
> >
> > Daniel Feenberg
>

> Nice read, I notice that some of your info seems to be in the default
> amd setup now. I also notice that the man pages are a bit dated (Apr 21,
> 2006), Are there any plans to update that :-)

If the software is mature, there usually aren't that many changes to the
manual page.

And I wonder how many people are actually using NFS these days. In offices,
SMB/CIFS seems paramount these days.

> ? I got amd running, it seems to work OK, except that it drops a mount after
> 5 min. active or not.

From the amd(8) manual:

    File systems are automatically unmounted when they appear to be quiescent.

It seems you and amd have a difference of opinion about what active/quiescent
means...

> I can't see anything to twiddle in the amd.conf file, any clues ?
> TIA ....

The `cache_duration` parameter is the one you're looking for, I think.
After entries are dropped from the cache due to inactivity, amd tries to
unmount them. See also `dismount_interval`.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)