Re: The source code of *BSD contains the comment ‘Does this belong here?’

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 16 13:34:27 UTC 2014

On 16/04/2014 14:01, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:41:19 +0300
> Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos <jorgeassembler1 at outlook.com> wrote:
>
>> I am  very interested  in being  answered, please  help me
>
> 	I don't think anybody sees a question, just a quote from a nine
> year old article. If you're asking whether there is a similar comment in
> the FreeBSD kernel sources a quick grep reveals this one:
>
> ./sys/proc.h: * XXX: Does this belong in resource.h or resourcevar.h instead?
>
> 	It fails to inspire any lack of confidence in me, of course I don't
> have a doctorate in computer science just thirty-five years experience in
> developing code professionally.

I spent five years working in a university CS department (followed by 30
in the real world), and it's quite possible to get a PhD in CS without
even being able to program a real world computer, never mind make
competent remarks about anything as complex as an OS. Some of CS is
basically mathematics using abstract computational models like Turing or
register machines, no hardware needed.