Re: The source code of *BSD contains the comment ‘Does this belong here?’

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Apr 16 13:16:20 UTC 2014

On 16/04/2014 13:07, Mihai Donțu wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:41:19 +0300 Jorge Luis Carvalho Santos wrote:
>>> Lok Technologies , a San Jose, Calif.-based maker of networking
>>> gear, started out using Linux in its equipment but switched to
>>> OpenBSD four years ago after company founder Simon Lok, who holds a
>>> doctorate in computer science, took a close look at the Linux
>>> source code.“You know what I found? Right in the kernel, in the
>>> heart of the operating system, I found a developer’s comment that
>>> said, ‘Does this belong here?’ “Lok says. “What kind of confidence
>>> does that inspire? Right then I knew it was time to switch.”
>>> reference :http://www.forbes.com/2005/06/16/linux-bsd-unix-cz_dl_0616theo.html
>>> The source code of  *BSD contains the comment  ‘Does this belong
>>> here?’
>>
>> I am  very interested  in being  answered, please  help me
>
> I noticed there's a trend these days to dig out these ancient articles
> and try and stir up the BSD people. What's up with that?

Trolling, (im)pure and simple.

Firstly the linked article is both nine years old and non-technical
journalism with the usual journalist's simplistic love of hyping
differences and disagreements. (And you can usually rely on Theo for the
latter :-). It's exactly as relevant as the usual "scientists find X
cures/causes cancer" stories you get in mainstream journalism.

Secondly, I went so far as to grep the FBSD source tree (at least the
10.0-R source on my machine) and it does *not* contain any "Does this
belong here?" comments. It does contain two comments remarking that bits
of code could reasonably be put in one of two routines and one remarking
that a kernel related declaration could be in either of two
include/sys/*.h files. All of them are good commenting practice in
system code rather than markers of incompetence like the OP is insinuating.