best configuration management tool for FreeBSD?

Matt Lager matt at soliddataservices.com
Tue Apr 15 22:49:11 UTC 2014

This isn't really an answer to your question, but I had about the same
amount of systems and went down the same path, and ended up feeling like
putting a layer over the management of the systems got me disconnected
from the systems themselves. I went back to building a centralized
infrastructure connected to a MySQL database that let me perform
specific tasks to all the systems... For instance, my perl script
indexes out of date installed ports nightly, writes them to a MySQL
database, and then I can set certain hosts and ports to update, etc. It
was a bit more work but I know exactly what is going on at all times,
whereas when I used puppet, I felt a little removed which I didn't like.
Just thought I'd share my experience.

On 4/15/2014 3:38 PM, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM, Aleksandr Miroslav
> <alexmiroslav at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> What is the best configuration management tool for FreeBSD? We make
>> heavy use of installing things from ports, so any tool that
>> understands how to install upgrade stuff from ports would be great.
>>

> Lots of people use Chef, lots of people use Puppet, lots of people use
> CFEngine3, etc.
>
> I tend to prefer those in the opposite order in which I've enumerated them.
>   Some people use bcfg2, also, I might add ;-)
>
> The best is the one you will actually use.
>
> - M

Solid Data Services <http://www.soliddataservices.com>

Matt Lager / President
*Office:* 480-351-5122
*Mobile:* 501-269-8606
www.SolidDataServices.com <http://www.soliddataservices.com>

This e-mail message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information and is intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s). Any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is prohibited. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, or contain viruses.
Anyone who communicates with us by e-mail is deemed to have accepted
these risks. Solid Data Services is not responsible for errors or
omissions in this message and denies any responsibility for any damage
arising from the use of e-mail. Any opinion and other statement
contained in this message and any attachment are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

believed to be clean.