Comparison of FreeBSD sendfile() and Linux sendfile()

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 18:36:28 UTC 2014

Hi All,
I am doing some work on linux with the Kafka message bus:
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html

One of the interesting things that Kafka does is when I message/event
needs to be sent to a client is invokes the linux sendfile() function,
thus eliminating the need to map the blocks on disk into the JRE then
out over the wire.  It is a pretty good use of this function.  I am
pretty familiar with the performance gains of this on CentOS/Linux
systems but was wondering if the FreeBSD implementation would provide
similar performance enhancements?

Kafka run's inside a Java VM, and aside from using sendfile() I
believe most of the other bits of code are pretty platform agnostic -
so obviously I'm interested in seeing if I could run Kafka on FreeBSD.
 I am currently reading the 2005 Usenix paper referenced in the
FreeBSD sendfile man page, but would love to hear opinions/war-stories
and the like from others :)

Thanks in advance!
-pete

--