mariadb55-server: mysql_secure_installation script misconfigured

Matthew Pherigo hybrid120 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 17:01:02 UTC 2014

Hey all,

Hi all, I must admit that I have very little experience in handling databases, but the behavior of the program was weird enough that I figured the problem wasn't with me.

When I run the mysql_secure_installation script, the default values it comes with make the script nonfunctional. First, it attempts to create and chmod two files: ".my.cfg.$$" (the config file) and ".mysql.$$" (something called "command"). However, this fails with a "read-only filesystem" error. It seems to not be specifying any path before the two files, as when I manually specify a path (like /var/db/mysql/my.cfg and /usr/local/mysql). The script also needs to be called with the option "--basedir=/usr/local", which seems unnecessary considering that setting ought to be the default in the first place. Once I make these modifications, the script works just fine.

Is it is this actually an issue? Or is this just a gap in my knowledge?

Thanks,
--Matt