FreeBSD Handbook, upgrading ports incorrect with 10.0-RELEASE?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 06:53:30 UTC 2014

On 10/04/2014 22:49, dgmm wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 April 2014 10:52:57 Matthew Pherigo wrote:
>> > So you really want just to see the versions, and then you upgrade them by
>> > hand. In that case, the correct option would indeed be "pkg version".
> pkg version is so sloooooow
>
> I use portversion from portupgrade package.  It's much, much faster.
>
> portversion -l \<
>
> or
>
> portversion -L =

It's only slow in '-P' mode -- comparing directly against the ports
tree.  If you use '-I' (compare against the ports index) or '-R'
(compare against what is available from pkgrepos) then you will find
pkg(8) much faster.

pkg version will default to '-P' mode *if* it detects a valid ports
tree, and failing that will use '-R' mode.  I'm not convinced that is
the best set of defaults that could have been chosen.  pkg_version by
contrast defaults to '-I' mode.

Personally, I recommend always using on of -P, -I or -R on your pkg
version command line explicitly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--