FreeBSD Handbook, upgrading ports incorrect with 10.0-RELEASE?

Matthew Pherigo hybrid120 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 15:53:00 UTC 2014

Hey Remy,

> On Apr 9, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Remy van Elst <relst at relst.nl> wrote:
>
> The handbook tells you that this command shows outdated ports (" Then, run this command to get a listing of the ports which are older than the currently available version:") and after that the handbook tells you to use either portmaster or portupgrade to actually upgrade them.
>
> I manage a few systems with only two or three extra ports installed, on those we (as in, me and my team) usually just upgrade those ports manually instead of with portmaster. I don't even know if portmaster is installed there.

So you really want just to see the versions, and then you upgrade them by hand. In that case, the correct option would indeed be "pkg version".
> Then updating the handbook to include "the proper functions for upgrading" would also be a good idea, instead of just changing this command.

Indeed. I'd guess that those portions of the handbook have been fixed already; the documentation is "staged" just like the code, meaning there's a "developer" version and a "release" version. The one you're looking at is going to be the release version.

If you'd like to take a look at the current revision, here's the instructions for doing so: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/working-copy.html