FreeBSD Handbook, upgrading ports incorrect with 10.0-RELEASE?

Remy van Elst relst at relst.nl
Wed Apr 9 15:23:26 UTC 2014

Matthew Pherigo schreef op 09/04/14 17:15:
>> On Apr 9, 2014, at 5:28 AM, Remy van Elst <relst at relst.nl> wrote:
>>
>> As I just tried, replacing pkg_version -l "<" with pkg version -l "<" (note the underscore) gives the same result and allows me to recompile/update the ports that are outdated.
>>
>> Maybe this can be added to the handbook? As in, for non-pkgng do this, for pkgng do this. I find my level of knowledge on FreeBSD not enough to submit a patch myself, therefore the mailing list seems good.
>
> Hi Remy,
>
> I'm not sure this is really the correct way to do this in the first place.
>
> Are you using binary packages, or are you just installing things from the ports tree?
Ports only. However, recently converted the package database because
some systems were upgraded to 10.0-RELEASE.

> If you're just using binary packages, the best method is "pkg upgrade". If you are using ports, the method most people would use would be "portmaster -aD" (meaning "install all upgrades and clean up all downloaded files afterwords"), though I don't think portmaster is installed by default.
The handbook tells you that this command shows outdated ports (" Then,
run this command to get a listing of the ports which are older than the
currently available version:") and after that the handbook tells you to
use either portmaster or portupgrade to actually upgrade them.

I manage a few systems with only two or three extra ports installed, on
those we (as in, me and my team) usually just upgrade those ports
manually instead of with portmaster. I don't even know if portmaster is
installed there.

> Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see why you would use this "pkg_version" method as opposed to the proper functions for upgrading. To me, it sounds like that method may have been originally used before these functions became available.
Then updating the handbook to include "the proper functions for
upgrading" would also be a good idea, instead of just changing this command.