After Seamonkey browser crash, fsck_ffs is taking forever

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sat Apr 5 10:49:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 01:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
Thomas Mueller <mueller6724 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> This is the partition mounted as /home, where most of the user data
> is, and I was able to copy (rsync) out most of the user data to a
> partition on a Western Digital MyBook 3 TB USB 3.0 drive.

did rsync have had to copy a lot of data? If yes, rsync is then very,
very slow.

> Main hard drive is Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB.
>
> How long should I let this continue?  I could copy out as much more

On 3TB and a full copy under rsync? I would estimate up to three days.
If you want to make a simple copy, use even things like cp -avp and
you will get the copy much much faster.

> I intend, after fsck_ffs -y from NetBSD terminates, or I terminate it
> with Ctrl-C, to open the computer and look for dust or loose
> connection.  I think I will do the latter this evening (like about 16
> hours from now).

You can always do that.

> This hard drive was bought late May 2011, now barely inside the
> three-year warranty.

Ok, test it after you have the copy and see how well it behaves.

How about SMART?

> Maybe I should buy another hard drive just in case, Western Digital,
> Green or maybe Red or Black?

When possible, I would buy from another manufacturer.

> I would also very much like to know how to block annoyance web
> domains such as *.doubleclick.net .

/etc/hosts

Mine has some 200 000 entries. Most sites look totally different when I
do not use it.

Erich