Hang in boot

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Apr 3 04:41:02 UTC 2014

On 1 April 2014, at 00:52, Doug Hardie <bc979 at lafn.org> wrote:

> FreeBSD 9.2.  All of my systems are hanging during boot right after the screen that has the picture.  Its as if someone hit a space on the keyboard.  However, these systems have no keyboard.  If I plug one in, or use the serial console, and enter a return, the boot continues properly.
>
> I have in /boot.config:  -Dh
>
> I understood from the documentation that would output the boot messages to both the console and serial console if there is no keyboard.  Is that somehow stopping the boot?  I used to have just -P in /boot/config and never had the problem, but never saw the boot messages on the serial console if someone plugged in a keyboard.  These are all remote servers and I never know if there is a keyboard or not.

Some additional information:  The boot menu is displayed along with Beastie.  However, the line that says Autoboot in n seconds… never appears.  It just stops there.  These are all new install from CD systems.  I just used freebsd-update to take a toy server from 9.1 to 9.2 and it doesn't exhibit this behavior.  It boots properly.  I have updated one of the production servers with the latest 9.2 changes and it still has the issue.  It appears that some config file did not get updated properly on the CD.  I have dug around through the 4th files and don't see anything obvious that would cause this.

I tried setting loader_logo="none" in /boot/config.rc and that eliminated the menu.  I think the system completed booting, but the serial console was then dead.  It did not respond or output anything.  I had to remove that and reboot to get the console back again.

I need to get this fixed as these are production servers that are essentially unmanned so its difficult to get them back up again.