mutt was a failure, alternatives?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 2 19:14:58 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 06:04:23AM +0000, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:18:49PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 05:12:55 +0000
> > Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in> wrote:
> >
> > > hello,
> > > my attempt at compiling mutt with sasl support was
> > > a major failure.
> > > may i know the usual approach used for email under
> > > freebsd 10?
> >
> > I use Claws-Mail under X.
>
> ah, okay, i was looking for a command line alternative. :)
>
> do people still go for the seperated mta + mua approach?

Yes. That works fine. E.g. on my laptop I'm running postfix + cyrus SASLv2 to
relay outgoing mail to my ISP's mail server.

IMHO, postfix is easier to configure then sendmail. I'm using a
“virtual_alias_maps” to link my outgoing e-mail addres to my local user-id

If postfix is compiled with Cyrus SASLv2 support, activating it is quite easy. From my
postfix main.cf:

    relayhost = [smtp.yourISP.here]:submission
    smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    smtp_sasl_password_maps = hash:/usr/local/etc/postfix/sasl_passwds
    smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain, login
    smtp_tls_security_level = may
    smtp_sasl_security_options =

Additionally I'm using procmail as a local delivery agent. This in turn runs
bogofilter to flag spam. It then delivers mail to separate mailboxes.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)