this 48-core box...

Dennis Glatting dg at pki2.com
Tue Sep 17 19:22:54 UTC 2013

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013, Michael Chen wrote:

> I'm considering bidding on this 48-core box:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-A-Server-1042G-TF-1U-H8QG6-4-CPUS-48-cores-2-2Ghz-128GB-RAM-/151119828428?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item232f7195cc
>
> Does anyone have experience with it and can I use all the cores?

I have one of those boards running 32 cores. You MUST run FreeBSD 9+ if
you want access to more than 32 cores.

Currently there is a bug in the stable/9 mfs drivers that do not allow you
to boot from a RAID array. I believe a patch has been submitted. I have a
copy of the patch and it works fine.

I have had significant problems with ZFS under stable/9 however I haven't
tried recent updates, rather I had to punt back to stable/8 (production
machine).

I have 22 3TB disks, 4 256GB SSDs, 256GB RAM, and 4x16 cores on my
machine. I also have a 10GbE cardin my machine that runs fine.

I DO NOT use the CD.

Other than the issues I mentioned, runs fine.