Disappointing dependency introduced in 9.1 (from 8-STABLE)

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Thu Sep 12 04:54:02 UTC 2013

Because I build a lot of embedded devices with serial consoles, I was in
the habit of hacking /boot/loader by commenting out a line in a Makefile
that enables terminal emulation

/sys/boot/i386/libi386/Makefile:

#CFLAGS+= -DTERM_EMU

and then in /sys/boot doing a make clean && make

unfortunately, with 9.X, this breaks the compile.  It seems a dependency
was introduced which requires the videoconsole code.  I find this extremely
irritating.  Of course, there's nothing to stop me (at the moment) from
compiling loader under 8-STABLE and installing it on 9.1 machines, but...

Is there a better way now to stop the cursor from scribbling illegibly
across the screen?

- M