Spam control (was: Let People Find You in Google!)

Frank Leonhardt freebsd-doc at fjl.co.uk
Fri Sep 6 14:17:34 UTC 2013

On 06/09/2013 11:21, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 09:32:39 +0100
> Graham Todd articulated:
>
>> Isn't this pure SPAM?
> Why yes it is. Would you prefer it mixed with non-spam to make it more
> palatable?
>
> Seriously, the ration of spam to non-spam is increasing exponentially
> on this list. Until the moderators change this to a subscriber list it
> will remain aa "any spammer can post" list.

There has indeed been a higher spam:ham ratio on this list of late,
however making it subscriber-only won't help. The crims need only spoof
the address of someone subscribed to the list to bypass that, and I
suspect a few spammers have registered using false addresses anyway
(leading to a bounce to anyone posting).

Piping it through Spamassassin as it arrives at mx1.freebsd.org,
although this isn't so effective against people using freemail accounts.
Closing down irresponsibly run freemail operators would be a big help,
but it's not going to happen.

If anyone wants to discuss this OFF LIST, I'm up for it.

Regards, Frank.