Intel Core 2 DUO

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Tue Oct 29 14:02:44 UTC 2013

I am looking at replacing an old mini tower PC running with a 900Watt
power supply (simply old parts left over from PC upgrades) with a small
form factor PC to run backups to eSATA with Bacula.  Main goal is to cut
down on the UPS load, hate having that beast of a power supply running
24/7 to only be used about 10 hours a week.  I have been searching eBay,
and there are a ton of Dell and HP small form factor PCs with the Intel
core 2 DUO CPUs a few of which have 4G ram, for cheap.  Assuming I can
find one that I can put two internal drives in to run zfs mirror for
FreeBSD install, does anyone have any experience on performance, will
the Intel core 2 DUO, be able to handle GELI and ZFS on the eSATA disk
with decent throughput?

Currently running with an old AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor
(2700.06-MHz K8-class CPU), which keeps up just fine, eSATA disk drive
is the slowest part on the current system.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer