Dropbox alternative

yudi v yudi.tux at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 07:48:16 UTC 2013

Out of all the options presented so far, Unison is the one that closely
matches my needs. It's bidirectional, runs on different platforms (not
mobile), and can be used with SSH.
Most other options listed here are of server/client design, they have their
strengths but my main priority is to reduce the risk of data loss to the
absolute minimum.

Synching the data across three different devices should make the data loss
very unlikely and also having them locally will give me instant access

I wish btsync was open sourced as well.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 5:46 AM, Aymeric Mansoux <aymeric at kuri.mu> wrote:

> Joseph Mingrone said :
> > yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > >  Is there a dropbox alternative for use within LAN? I would like to
> keep my
> > > files synched across all my personal devices without having to place a
> copy
> > > on an external party's server.
> >
> > The ports net/unison or net/unison-nox11 might fit the bill.
>
> +1
>
> I have been using unison for a while over ssh and it works flawlessly
> and is incredibly fast. The downsides are the necessary star network
> topology (I wish btsync was free software) and the lack of mobile
> gadgets clients (you can sync using unison on Android from a Debian
> chrooted/overlayed installation if you are OK to not sync some info like
> file ownership, but that's quite tedious to setup and use).
>
> a.
> --
> http://su.kuri.mu

Kind regards,