UPS buying suggestion

Erich Dollansky erich at alogt.com
Wed Oct 16 05:43:23 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:35:32 +1000
yudi v <yudi.tux at gmail.com> wrote:

> >   APC BackUPS Pro 420 to keep three HP microservers alive. What!?
> > Yes, it works. The power they draw varies greatly depending on what
> > type and how many drives you have in the bays and (I think with the
> > Microservers) their processing workload.
> >

> Nice to know you got 3  servers running off a 420 VA unit,
> surprising it can handle 3 units when the power goes off.

it is caused by the good design of the server's power supply unit.

> how do I tell what type of battery an UPS takes?

APC tells you to use theirs. But you can take the battery out and ask a
battery dealer if there is a replavement available.

> I am also looking at APC Smart-UPS SC 420VA
> 230V<http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SC420I&total_watts=50&tab=models>,

This sounds like a perfect deal if the price is well below USD 200.

> within my budget, it's got AVR, and user replaceable battery, but
> cannot tell whether it accepts a generic one.

It will be possible in a private environment to use the battery of the
same type which is a bit smaller in size. The connectors seem to be
standard connectors.

Your URL shows the two battery types the UPS works with. Ask a search
engine if there are compatible batteries available. This is the case
for many APS models I know.

Erich